06 February 2010

Why I Chose to Jailbreak my iPhone 3GS

The premise was really simple. I had previously owned a 1st generation iPhone when it first was made available in the USA. Me being the gadget freak that I was, I soon got my hands on one. Alas, it did not allow me to use my SIM card. The device was locked to AT&T (copyright AT&T). 

What could I do? The shiny thing was screaming 'turn me on!' but all I could do was look at the screen which allowed me to only dial emergency numbers (which by the way, do not connect in Asia!)

I did some research. And finally managed to jailbreak it. Meaning, I could access the functions of the applications within the device, but was still unable to make calls. Not long after, I finally unlocked it and it worked fine with any SIM card I would insert into it. Awesome! I don't need the warranty, I'm not in the States. 

Now that I have the new iPhone 3GS, jailbreaking the device immediately raises the alarm in many people. What about the warranty? Would that not void it? Good question. 

Well, there are only a few situations when you would require servicing for your iPhone. 

1. Software issues. 

2. Changing the battery.

3. Hardware problems.

If there are any software issues and you bring your pristine phone to your telco. They are most likely to refer you to www.apple.com.sg and perform a software update. Telcos sell hardware, bandwidth, airtime. Not software coding, not software programs. Encountering software problems with an Apple device is very unlikely.

If, however, you suspect your device has a hardware problem, such as faulty camera, faulty earphone jack or the like, you would most likely to have it serviced ultimately at a licensed Apple reseller, who will honour the warranty. I might be wrong here. But that should be the case. If you encounter this problem try the following.


Step 1 

Perform a backup of your current iPhone. You should know how to do this by now.


Step 2

Click on "Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Content and Settings.

A red button appears warning you that all data and settings will be erased if you choose to proceed further. After you do this, the deleting process might take quite a while. 


Step 3

You have a choice to now set up the device using iTunes as a new iPhone. If you had previously made a backup as I had mentioned before jailbreaking your phone, you may use that and restore the phone to 3.1.2. 

Now you can send in your phone for hardware servicing. Please also not that you have to explicitly instruct the service personnel not to update your device software to 3.1.3. You only require hardware servicing.


Step 4

Have your fixed device back? Do your jailbreak again, and perform a restore. Your device will be back to the way it was. 


I have not personally encountered this yet simply because Apple products do not seem to break down. I have an iMac, a MacBookPro, an iBook, iPod Classic. No problems whatsoever. Go figure!


But first off, why did I jailbreak my device?

1. Free apps. I get to test any app for free. If I really like it and use it a lot, I would pay for it, seriously!

2. Access to powerful tools such as multitasking.

3. Changing the appearance of the user interface (my wallpaper transitions every 5 seconds).

4. I can lock any application on the device.

5. Customize my own ringtones (ok, you don't need to jailbreak to do this).

6. Customize sms tones (only for jailbroken phones)

7. I can even run Win 3.1 and Win 95 on the iPhone!

8. Play GBA (Gameboy Advance), NES64 games!

9. Anyone who picks up my iPhone and tries to insert his SIM card for his own use will find all the apps are locked. My device will brick. I can call him, because my device will send an sms to a number I have pre-defined showing me the other person's number.

10. The possibilities are endless.

1 comment:

  1. Love how you customized the phone to be able to SMS you back if you have a different SIM card. There should be an app like this. Technology never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete